The original goal for my self initated project was to create a prototype of a Science Fiction themed RTS game which featured hybrid gameplay between Real Time Strategy and First Person Shooter.
I decided upon this objective as a way to showcase he skills learnt over the duration of the course and to take advantage of the opportunity afforded by the project to choose upon a theme and setting of my choice.
Over the course of the project my objective shifted slightly to incorporate skills which are not necessarily constricted to the studio.
The client project made me realise that there are skills outside the spectrum of asset creation that are important to games design, especially in such a voracious industry.
Tying in the client related practices module from earlier in the year, I decided on trying to present myself and the project as a pitch on the popular crowd sourcing platform “Kickstarter”.
I created a video pitch which demonstrate the units and structures present in my project in a similar vein to the Planetary Annhilation pitch which was the original focus of my project.
Towards the end of the project I came upon the realisation that having a pitch is not enough in such a competitive market.
Inspired by a TED lecture which I recently watched detailing the SETI program, I came up with the idea of bundling the SETI@home software with a space based game.
This would present gamers with a truly unique opportunity to help the SETI organisation search for extraterrestrial life whilst also searching for and battling aliens in the accompanying game.
My reasoning behind this decision was to create a truly unique selling point which would seperate my independent projct from the throngs of similar ideas whilst also contributing to the scientific community.
Taking into account my original goal; creating a prototype Real Time Strategy game, I believe I achieved the goal rather well.
I incorporated techniques learned during the Client project, aswell as skills which I have learned independently to flesh out my prototype.
I also used skills previously learned on my past course studying media and film; editing the final video for presentation.
I have also developed my workflow throughout the duration of the project to a point where I would feel comfortable taking on independent or freelance work.
I have developed my modelling and texturing workflow to incorporate newly learned discplines and manage asset creation with a quick turn around.
I have also researched and experimented with tools within the Unreal Development Kit to enable me to create custom levels, skills which have also helped to influence and improve the Client Project.
During the tutorials involving the aim of the Final Major Project, I believe I have a firm basis to continue this project into the third year and beyond which will result in a well rounded portfolio piece to display to future clients.
One regret that I do have about the project however is the fact that I have decided to stick with an area that I am relatively comfortable with.
I originally wanted to incorporate organic modelling to the project to learn a discipline which I have tended to shy away from. I did however manage to include one model which was organically sculpted; an asteroid model for the space section of the video.
In conclusion I believe my project has been succesful. I am pleased with the final video presented for the presentation although I am going to refine it more to create a professional portfolio piece utilising Adobe After Effects and Premier to develop skills which I can use in the future to showcase my work.
I am looking forward to further developing my project next year incorporating Organic Modelling, animated skeletal meshes and animation. I am also hoping to incorporate custom particles to further advance my skills with UDK.
As an aside, I also aim to modify the project to run in Unity to explore the advantages and disadvantages of both softwares and to begin building a considerable range of skills with Unity which is one of the most widely used engines in the industry.